Tabitha E. Walker Insurance Agency Join Our Newsletter Submit A Claim blogs Make A Payment Referrals Facebook Follow on Twitter LinkedIn
Alternate Content
Get A Quote

By: Bobbie Sage, Guide
In insurance a peril is an exposure to an event that may cause damage to your home. Homeowners insurance covers the most common perils one would probably be exposed to in owning a home. Fire, lightning and internal explosion (like a furnace exploding) are examples of perils covered on most homeowners insurance policies. However, there are other perils that one may want coverage for.

Getting coverage for additional perils is typically not complicated as most insurance agents can add the additional coverage onto the current homeowners insurance policy. Three common perils that are usually not covered under a traditional homeowners insurance policy are:

Floods: For insurance purposes a flood is considered temporary extra water on land that is usually dry. Flood insurance is a separate policy issued by the National Flood Insurance Program or NFIP. Flood insurance is only required if the property is located in a flood plain. Your insurance agent can give you more information on how to add a flood insurance policy onto your home. You can also learn more about flood insurance at Floods: Preparing for the Worst.

Earthquakes: Statistics show that not many people purchase earthquake insurance. Even in areas where earthquakes are considered common, the purchase of earthquake insurance has decreased over the years. Looking into earthquake insurance should be a consideration for all homeowners. Affordable coverage can be found if one takes the time to compare prices among different insurance companies. Adding earthquake insurance can be done by a separate policy or as an endorsement to a current homeowner policy.

Mudslides: Coverage for mudslides is usually not covered under one's homeowners policy. It is important to be careful not to get "mudflow" and "mudslide" mixed up. Flood insurance will cover mudflow but not a mudslide. Sometimes it can become complicated to determine how much of a home was hit by a mudflow and/or a mudslide so having protection for both (getting flood insurance and mudslide insurance) is best to cover any gaps.

Call our office today at 540.657.5633 to learn more regarding covering the gap(s) in your Homeowners policy


Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2018
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012

View Mobile Version
Home Page
About Us
Free Quotes
Contact Us
Visit our mobile site

Mailing: 11 Hope Rd., Suite 111-306 Stafford, VA 22554 Location:  25 Clement Drive Stafford, VA 22554

      Phone: 540.657.5633 / Fax: 540.657.5636

Licensed in Virginia, Maryland, Washington DC

Tabitha E. Walker Insurance Agency
Home Page