Owning a retail business comes with its unique risks, theft being one of the biggest. Many insurers offer specialized insurance policies that can be custom-tailored to the type of retail store you own and the unique needs of the sub-industry. As with any type of business, a retail store owner will need property and general liability coverage. Property coverage protects buildings and contents from damages caused by fire, severe weather, theft or vandalism (some policies also include outdoor signs). General liability coverage protects third parties from any damages or harm suffered on store property.
Retail insurance can include a variety of additional coverages, based on the needs of your particular store. Several options include:
· Product liability: Covers damages or bodily harm caused by a product your store sold.
· Equipment breakdown: Covers damaged, destroyed or failed equipment in the event of power surges, mechanical breakdown, etc.
· Business income: Covers lost income if you cannot operate your store due to a covered event.
· Property in transit: Covers goods and equipment that incur damages while in transit, and sometimes while in storage (depending on your policy).
· Commercial auto: Covers business-owned vehicles and drivers in the event of a collision or other damages. Depending on your policy, this may also cover employee-owned vehicles while being used for business purposes.
· Worker’s compensation: Covers the medical expenses and lost wages of employees who are injured or fall ill on the job.
· Employee dishonesty: Covers damages and losses resulting from employee theft or fraud.
Your independent agent can assess the needs of your retail store and assist you in selecting a policy that offers comprehensive protection to protect your livelihood.
Buy coverage so you can keep selling goods. Call Tabitha E. Walker Insurance Agency at (540) 657-5633 for more information on Fredericksburg business insurance.