As a business owner, one of your worst nightmares may be the thought of an accident claim. You certainly don't want anyone getting hurt on your property and the damages you may be required to pay in a lawsuit could wipe you out. For this reason, it's necessary to include a general liability policy when purchasing business insurance.
General liability insurance covers attorney fees, medical costs and other damages you may be required to pay in a lawsuit. Most liability lawsuits that involve business owners result from slip and fall accidents. To help prevent this type of accident from happening at your place of business, follow the safety tips below to minimize the risk of slips and falls.
- Wipe up any spills immediately. Place "wet floor" signs on the floor until it completely dries.
- Position slip resistant rubber mats in front of entrance doors. This is especially important when it’s wet outside.
- Repair any floor covering damages, such as loose tiles or bunched up carpeting.
- Keep stairways properly lit and install a sturdy handrail.
- Clearly mark any changes in floor elevation such as ramps, inclines or steps.
- Inspect the bathrooms regularly for water on the floor or overflowing trash cans.
- Regularly inspect your parking lot for broken glass, trash or dangerous objects that could cause an accident.
- Maintain your parking lot by having cracks or potholes repaired in a timely manner.
- During icy or snowy weather, keep your parking lot and sidewalks cleared.
- Replace burned out parking lot lights immediately.
By implementing safety precautions at your place of business and purchasing a general liability insurance policy, you won't have to worry about going broke because of a lawsuit. If you're not already covered by this type of policy, ask your insurance agent about purchasing liability insurance. If you're already covered, speak with your agent to determine if you have enough coverage for your type of business.
Protect your business and employees. Call Tabitha E. Walker Insurance Agency at (540) 657-5633 for more information on Fredericksburg business insurance.